Here are some important guidelines for this task:
- You MUST put quoted material in quotation marks AND every quote MUST be followed by a citation – go ahead and add the citation when you insert the quote so you don’t have to track it down again later.
- QUOTE PURPOSEFULLY! Only quote information that REALLY supports the points you make, and don’t quote words you don’t need. You DO NOT need to quote complete sentences – see the Essay Guide for information about shortening quotations (pages 84-86).
- You MUST quote your sources EXACTLY. Changing a quote without indicating that you’ve changed it is just as bad as plagiarism. See the Essay Guide for directions and models for modifying quotations if they need to be adjusted for blending (pages 84-86).
- Make sure you get the punctuation and the citations in the correct order. See the guidelines and examples on pages 88-89 of the Essay Guide.
- Look at the model essay on pages 93-96 of the Essay Guide. You can see that quoted fragments and phrases are inserted with their appropriate citations. Compare this to the model essay at the previous step in order to see the difference (pages 79-81).
Follow these steps:
- Read pages 82, 84-96 in the Essay Guide.
- View the presentation: Adding Quotes and Citations.pptx.
- Open your research paper file.
- Add the information you wish to quote, along with an appropriate citations, to your paper.
- You will NOT submit this to Turnitin. You will continue with the next step in this same file.