Please note that the daily assignments are separated into a Research section and a Vocabulary section. I also add additional notes to the end of the day’s assignments. Be sure to read and complete all sections! All assignments are due by 11:59 PM to Turnitin.com. If you are having difficulty meeting this deadline, you need to discuss your situation with me individually and I will help you come up with a solution.
Here’s what you need to do to complete the Day 3 Research assignment:
- Get your blue Springboard textbook or go to the Google drive. In the Springboard folder, open “ELA_Grade 12_Unit 4_National Student Edition.pdf.” This is the online version of the blue Springboard textbook.
- Turn to page 273 in the blue text, “Slanting the News” and read about rhetorical slanters.
- Go to the Google drive, to the Groups folder, and find your group number.
- Go to the Google drive à Springboard folder à Unit 4 Videos & Handouts and locate the two videos: “MSNBC Matthews_ We Need To Do More On Gun Control _ Hardball _ MSNBC.mp4” AND “Fox News Ben Shapiro on Fox and Friends_ 'Gun Control Is Not The Answer To The Vegas Massacre'.mp4.”
- Log in to Turnitin.com and click the gray Discussion tab at the top of the page.
- Click on your group # Rhetorical Discussion link (NOTE: There is a Discussion link and a Presentation link – you want the DISCUSSION link for this part of the assignment). Underneath where it says “Created by Kimberly McCarter,” you will see a sentence that tells you which Rhetorical Slanters have been assigned to your group.
- Watch the two videos “MSNBC Matthews_ We Need To Do More On Gun Control _ Hardball _ MSNBC.mp4” and “Fox News Ben Shapiro on Fox and Friends_ 'Gun Control Is Not The Answer To The Vegas Massacre'.mp4” and identify examples of the slanters assigned to your group in each video (Take notes!!).
- On your group’s discussion board, post your findings (Click the yellow “Reply to this topic” button). You may identify the videos as MSNBC and Fox so you don’t have to type the entire name when you identify your examples.
Check your answers to Unit 9 CTS (In the Vocabulary folder on the Google drive), and work on Vocab 10 CTRW.
Contact: My normal online “office hours” will be from 10:30 until noon, Monday thru Friday. If you have a question or concern, you may either email me or tune into the live office hours on ZOOM. I posted information Monday on how to access the live session. Scroll down to read that information. I also posted the ZOOM access ID code to the “On the Web” page of our class web site so you don’t have to scroll down every day to get the access code. If you email me outside of office hours, I WILL respond, but there might be a delay in the response since I do occasionally have to get out of this desk chair! 😊
Assignments: I will post the day’s assignments by 9:30 every morning; however, I will often post them the evening before. If you want to get a “sneak peek” at the next day’s assignment, you will often be able to do that by 10:00 PM on the previous evening.
Have a great day! Stay safe and healthy!