Research, Day 23
Today you will finalize your paper by revising and proofreading. Today, you will make your writing shine! This is the day that you add the “glitter” that will make your paper exceptional and fix all the little errors and typos that you accidently made while you were writing the paper.
Once you get your paper finished, I would STRONGLY advise you to have someone else read it (if possible) and have them let you know if something doesn’t seem to be clear or make sense BEFORE you hand it in.
Follow these steps:
- Open your research paper file.
- Underline your claim statement (it should be the LAST sentence of your introduction).
- Underline EACH topic sentence (topic sentences should be the FIRST sentence of each body paragraph, should link directly to the claim, and should identify the subject of the body paragraph).
- Add the required vocabulary words (if you haven’t already added them as you’ve written the paper). Remember, if you add EXTRA words, you are then somewhat protected if you’ve used a few incorrectly. Underline and Bold each vocabulary word.
- Consider revising the way you’ve said things to add rhetorical devices (see pages 98-102 of the Essay Guide).
- Make sure every quotation has a lead-in and a lead-out (NO sentence may begin with a quotation; NO paragraph may end with a quotation).
- Consider each body paragraph – do you have enough scholarly evidence in each paragraph to really make your point? (EVERY point must be thoroughly supported by scholarly evidence. If it isn’t, consider adding more paraphrases and quotations – and cite them!!).
- READ your paper and make sure every idea is clear (reading it aloud will help you find errors).
- Make sure your Works Cited page includes a bibliographic citation for every source that appears in a parenthetical citation within your paper. Double-check the feedback you received on the citation portion of the Annotated Bibliography and make sure you haven’t made the same errors on the citations on the Works Cited page. Also, make sure you’ve used the required number of scholarly sources in your paper (check the rubric if you don’t remember how many you were required to use).
- Submit your final research paper to “Research Paper: Revision 3” and enjoy your weekend! We start Brave New World on Monday.
You have no vocabulary assignment other than adding vocabulary words to your essay.
Contact: My normal online “office hours” will are from 10:30 until noon, Monday thru Thursday. If you have a question or concern, you may email me and I will get right back to you. If you email me outside of office hours, I WILL respond, but there might be a delay in the response since I do occasionally have to get out of this desk chair! 😊 If you need to speak with me, email me and we can set up a time to talk via phone or Zoom. You will need a password to access the Zoom meeting. I will give you the password when you set up the appointment.
Email: I have been corresponding with many of you via email, and I would like to make a request. When you email me, please sign your email (or at least make sure your first AND last name are both in your email address). I have received several unsigned emails that I wasn’t really sure who the sender was (Email doesn’t work like a text message – you need to tell me who you are rather than assuming I will know.). Who knows? I might have been answering questions for students who aren’t even mine! (I hope their teacher doesn’t mind! :-D).
Assignments: I will post the day’s assignments by 9:30 every morning.
Have a great day! Stay safe and healthy!