Research, Day 20
Today you will select the phrases and snippets from your scholarly sources that you will actually quote (not paraphrase) in your paper. While most of your scholarly sources should be paraphrased in order to maintain your voice throughout your paper, you SHOULD quote particularly vivid or important elements to lend ethos to your text. Today, you will NOT worry about lead-ins or blending. All you need to do is insert the scholarly quotes you have chosen into your paper where you think they will best support the point you are trying to make.
Here are some important guidelines for this task:
- You MUST put quoted material in quotation marks AND every quote MUST be followed by a citation – go ahead and add the citation when you insert the quote so you don’t have to track it down again later.
- QUOTE PURPOSEFULLY! Only quote information that REALLY supports the points you make, and don’t quote words you don’t need. You DO NOT need to quote complete sentences – see the Essay Guide for information about shortening quotations (pages 74-75).
- You MUST quote your sources EXACTLY. Changing a quote without indicating that you’ve changed it is just as bad as plagiarism. See the Essay Guide for directions and models for modifying quotations if they need to be adjusted for blending (pages 74-75).
- Make sure you get the punctuation and the citations in the correct order. See the guidelines and examples on pages 78-79 of the Essay Guide.
- Look at the model essay on pages 83-86 of the Essay Guide. You can see that quoted fragments and phrases are inserted with their appropriate citations. Compare this to the model essay at the previous step in order to see the difference (pages 69-72).
Follow these steps:
- Read pages 72-73 in the Essay Guide.
- Open your research paper file.
- Add the information you wish to quote, along with an appropriate citations, to your paper.
- You will NOT submit this to Turnitin. You will continue with the next step in this same file.
You have no vocabulary assignment other than adding vocabulary words to your essay.
If you are going to hand in the final vocabulary journal to raise your grade, due April 21, you should be working on the journal.
Contact: My normal online “office hours” will are from 10:30 until noon, Monday thru Thursday. If you have a question or concern, you may email me and I will get right back to you. If you email me outside of office hours, I WILL respond, but there might be a delay in the response since I do occasionally have to get out of this desk chair! 😊 If you need to speak with me, email me and we can set up a time to talk via phone or Zoom. You will need a password to access the Zoom meeting. I will give you the password when you set up the appointment.
Email: I have been corresponding with many of you via email, and I would like to make a request. When you email me, please sign your email (or at least make sure your first AND last name are both in your email address). I have received several unsigned emails that I wasn’t really sure who the sender was (Email doesn’t work like a text message – you need to tell me who you are rather than assuming I will know.). Who knows? I might have been answering questions for students who aren’t even mine! (I hope their teacher doesn’t mind! :-D).
Assignments: I will post the day’s assignments by 9:30 every morning.
Have a great day! Stay safe and healthy!