Standards: RI1. RI4, SL1, SL3, W4
Collect handouts from shelf. Students pick up handouts as they turn in info form (practice class procedures).
- Discussion: What IS British lit? Why study British lit?
- Overview of the course: classroom, procedures, course overview, GUM expectations, etc.
- Distribute Student Info Sheets and collect TRSS forms.
- As students begin to finish info sheets, distribute syllabus and syllabus quiz (Syllabus British Lit FA18 McC.doc, Syllabus quiz SP18.docx).
- TRSS forms & transcript check.
- Distribute letters to students (Letter to Students FA18.doc) and request that they write a letter in response (finish checking TRSS forms during letter activity).
- Distribute TRSS forms.
- Remind of homework: have parents sign course syllabus, bring vocab money, and write a letter response to the teacher’s letter.
- Letter to the Teacher (due Friday) – address the following prompts:
Who are you as a person?
What do you love?
What do you loath?
What subjects do you prefer?
What subjects do you dislike?
Do you need a particular environment to study?
What types of writing and reading do you prefer?
The Life Plan
What are your goals for this year? This class?
What are your goals after high school?
How can I help you get there?
Standards: W1, W4, W5, W8, W9, W10, L1, L2
- Collect signed copies of syllabus and vocab money.
- Diagnostic writing assessment - whole class period (Source F CP Brit PreAssessment.docx).
Standards: RI1-6, RI10, W2, W4, W5, W10, L1-5
- Collect signed copies of syllabus, vocab money, and letters.
- Distribute and explain errand passes (errand passes mccarter brit.doc).
- Go over syllabus quiz.
- Explain how to complete Array Inventory (Array Interaction Inventory 2-sided.doc) and allow students time to complete.
- Comma, part of speech, part of sentence pre-assessment (Grammar Foundational Concepts Pre-Assessment.docx, Grammar Foundational Concepts Pre-Assessment Answers.docx).
- GUM Review: DPG Sent. 1. Fix GUM, identify parts of speech and parts of sentence: i like the movie clueless its based on jane austens novel emma
- Go over basic sentence structure.