IAN: Revisit “Education Still Pays” and analyze the appeals (ethos, pathos, logos); discuss the difference between argument and persuasion.
- SB: Revisit Obama’s speech and complete SOAPSTone graphic organizers in small groups; share with the class.
- SB: Complete SMELL graphic organizers in pairs; discuss as a class.
- SB: Review parallel structure (practice p. 78) and discuss “Check Your Understanding.”
- Complete “Targeting Your Audience” activity, pp. 79-80.
Read independent reading book.
HW: No Red Ink parallelism quiz. Complete narrative interview by Sunday. Read IR and complete ZINC for Oct. 10 check.
- Give back essays and go over MLA format and scholarly writing (Common Violations of Scholarly Writing.pptx).
- Go over scholarly sources and how to analyze a source for scholarly nature.
- Go over how to document a site in MLA format (Essay Guide).
- Step One: Writing an initial claim statement.
- Write and hand in a preliminary claim for your argument essay.
Research articles for argument essay and print, creating a working bibliography of at least four sources. Hand in working bibliography.
- Vocab. Quiz for pre-course reading.
- Continue research; complete CRAAP tests and a SMELL or SOAPSTone analysis for each of your sources.