Standards: RI1. RI4, SL1, SL3
Put handouts on shelf; distribute info forms. Have students pick up handouts as they turn in info form (practice class procedures).
- Discussion: What IS British lit? Why study British lit?
- Overview of the course: classroom, procedures, course overview, GUM expectations, etc.
- Distribute Student Info Sheets and collect TRSS forms.
- As students begin to finish info sheets, distribute syllabus and syllabus quiz (Syllabus British Lit SP18 McC.doc, Syllabus quiz SP18.docx).
- TRSS forms & transcript check.
- Distribute letters to students (Letter to Students SP18.doc) and request that they write a letter in response (finish checking TRSS forms during letter activity).
- Distribute TRSS forms.
- Remind of homework: have parents sign course syllabus and write a letter response to the teacher’s letter.
- Letter to the Teacher (due Friday) – address the following prompts:
Who are you as a person?
What do you love?
What do you loath?
What subjects do you prefer?
What subjects do you dislike?
Do you need a particular environment to study?
What types of writing and reading do you prefer?
The Life Plan
What are your goals for this year? This class?
What are your goals after high school?
How can I help you get there?
Standards: W1, W4, W5, W8, W9, W10, L1, L2
- Collect signed copies of syllabus and letters.
- Diagnostic writing assessment - whole class period (Source F CP Brit PreAssessment.docx).