Standards: RI1, RI2, RL1, RL2, RL3, RL4, RL5, RL6, RL7, RL9, RL10, L4
- Clip from Legally Blonde (court scene) with Viewing prompts on p. 139. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyv20R-k3aY
- Discuss stereotypes, patriarchal and feminist figures in clip – pause on 0:23 and 0:45.
- Canterbury Tales Begin REV2017.ppt.
- What Does He Mean Chaucers Sardonic Wit.pptx.
- Read the first few lines of the prologue in Middle English (p. 97).
- Read the Wife of Bath's description & "The Wife of Bath's Tale" (139) (Wife of Bath Description and Tale.pdf), answer “Second Viewing” Qs 2, 4, 5 about the “Wife of Bath’s Tale” and answer A) How are Legally Blonde and “The Wife of Bath’s Tale” similar? B) What theme appears to be prevalent in both? C) What stereotype do both oppose? D) How is this relevant to the Medieval Period?
Standards: RI1, RI2, RL1, RL2, RL3, RL4, RL5, RL6, RL7, RL9, RL10, L1, L2, L4, L6
- In a patriarchal society, women are viewed ….
- Bechdel Test for Women in Movies:
- The Bechdel Test is the Worst: 0:45-1:10, movie statistics:
- Assign groups different critical perspectives (lenses): horticulturalist (a person who studies plants and tree), gerontologist (a person who studies aging), and a feminist.
- Read The Giving Tree and discuss what each of the different perspectives would see in the text.
- Read “Cinderella, the Legend” (pp. 140-142) marking Feminist Criticism, allusions, and words (NOT Marxist Criticism) and answer questions 1-6 on pp. 142-143 to hand in.
Standards: RL1, RL2, RL3, RL4, RL6, RL7, RL10, W2, W4, W9, W10
- Review Lead-ins/outs (Essay Guide ver. 5, pp. 73-92); Other_Ways_to_Say_Said_Poster_TipSheet.pdf, Synonyms for said.docx.
- Review sentence structure (47 Sentence Structure 12GE1915.pdf) – students must label ONE example of each structure in paper.
- Check sentence structure in paper (Find subject-verb pairs, find the complete clause(s), and determine if the clauses are joined properly).
- Rvw: Literary Present.
- Citing texts: author and title of a literary work in the introduction. For this essay: “Quotation” (para. 5).
- Quoting Dialogue_NO.pptx.
- Begin Unit 2, EA 2, pp. 170-176; read and annotate texts twice, once for vocabulary and once for feministic lens.
Standards: RL1, RL2, RL3, RL4, RL6, RL7, RL10, W2, W4, W5, W9, W10, L3, L4, L5, L6
- Check vocab 5 CTS.
- Work on EA2.
- Reminder: You MAY NOT use first or second person pronouns. This paper MUST be written in third person!
Standards: RL1, RL2, RL3, RL4, RL6, RL7, RL10, W2, W4, W5, W6, W9, W10, L6
- Check vocab.
- Work on EA2 in lab.
- Do NOT use first or second person pronouns. This paper MUST be written in third person!